Completed Ceramic Works:

With my ceramic models sketched, modelled, sanded, painted and rendered in Sketchup I have completed all aspects of my own original designs.

The painting process was relativley streamlined.

IMG_3275

Extracting the works from the kiln after firing the initial step was to sand my models. This removed alot of the uneven impressions maded from manipulating the clay whilst it was wet. I sanded my first four works with 120 grit sandpaper, this proved to be far to smooth to perform and real work on harderend ceramics and tented to tear before it removed any sizable amount. It was only when I changed to 140 grit woodworking paper (Pictured) for my final Knife Block and Radio models that I noticed a substantial improvment in the time required as well as the results achieved. Had I not already painted my other works earlier I would have redone my previous works this way.

Post sanding it was necessary to add detailing to areas to fine to include in the ceramic modelling process. This included decorative livery or small functions relavent to the products use. Marking and drawing these areas in pencil they will provide an outline when painting over in acrylic. The location and shape of these details were dictated by my previous marker renders and I simplified somewhat overcomplicated areas as I worked.

With this initial preperation complete it was now time to begin the painting process in earnest. A undercoat of a products primary colour was applied first, the pencil markings underneath still visible due to the layers thickness. My medium was to be acrylic paint, its natural glossiness saved me from having to apply a coat of PVA after drying and the bold colours are suitable for my designs. It also takes little preperation to apply and adhers well to the ceramic surface. With the primary coat now applied I started to add the tertiary coulourings with a thin brush, careful to prevent messy edges or misplaced paint, the blobby nature of the paint presented a big challenge.

Repeating this process and adding fine details and highlights with metallic paints and my oil markers my dried models were ready for inclusion in my exhibition:

IMG_3282IMG_3281IMG_3280IMG_3278IMG_3277IMG_3276

I think these models were succesful, they brought a three dimensional quality to my work and sketchbook as well as forming the primary focus of this project. Saying this I am somewhat displeased with the quality of the final outcomes. A combination of factors such as my inexperinece with ceramics, wrong sandpaper or even lack of time hampered my work and I think if I were to try this again I would be far more succesful. Particualy intresting to me was the huge number of iterations each product went through and the fact this is true for every single design displayed:



 

This process was systematically applied to every single final design and reflects the majority of the work that went into my project as a whole. This approach helped to direct my work and gave rise to alot of additional ideas, such as a forray into anthropometrics or advanced marker renderings.

With the inclusion of my painted models to my exhibition this marks the end of my 12 week design process and I now move onto completing loose ends and pursing some additiona ideas.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s