My Working Method:

As I way to complete my blog posts from Stage three I think its a good idea to recount and explain the ridgid working methord that I followed throught the design process in its entirety. Although briefly explained on my intentions I decided to shed more light on my goals and my projects structure as they are not made immediatley clear in my sketchbook and took a considerable amount of time

In my previous stage I structured my sketchbooks and design process around a mindmap, which I used to quickly generate ideas to establish a foundation from which to develop ideas. This was true for this project but formed only the basis for my planning stage, not the effort in its entirety.


Stage Two: Simple but clear


Stage Three: A more abstract approach

Wanting to build upon my starting ideas in a more formative way I constructed an intentions page to outline critical goals that were to form the basis for my project.


This page was a relativley simple affair and didnt move my ideas forward particually far. I followed this page with my traditional methord of gathering Primary and Secondary sources as I waited for inspiration to strike.

With a little more thought put into what I wanted to achieve and having started this vast undertaking I was emboldened to begin to structure my projects goals in its entirety, producing a number of pages of intentions and plans as I worked.


I began with additional mindmapping of the early first weeks of my project to add to my list of potential avenues.


This moved to more descriptive listing of my intentions dictating my projects direction in a major way. Sheets such as these formed a sort of ‘wishlist’ of ideas to pursue.


Detailed plans emerged as my work developed as well as ‘to do lists’ and rough exhibiton plans. These were a catalyst to my project and provided alot of motivation in the early weeks.

A small ways into my project and seeking a final direction I revisited my yearly planner issued to me and divided up my time and the overarching project in its entirety. This would be the definite methord by which I would conduct myself for the remainder of my stages 12 weeks.


My start date and deadline were marked as well as holidays, and I broke up my time into rough stages based on my 12 weeks, providing me with weekly targets and dates to hit.


My candidate record form which I completed at this time provided help in assesing what needed to be covered and to solidfy my intentions.

With my plan in place I followed this rigidly and benefited greatly for my first three weeks. It was clearly what I had to achieve on a weekly basis if I was to complete my final vision, as well as the time I would be allowed in which to work for each individual category.

Despite this structure I felt my process could be simplified in a few simple stages that would denote the medium I was working in and the end results I aimed to produce. The result was the creation of four elements with timescales that outlined my project in its entirety.

  1. Propriatory Research & Experimentation (Weeks: 1⇒5)
  2. Ceramics Ideas & Designs (Weeks: 6⇒9)
  3.  Digital Design (Weeks: 10⇒11)
  4. Exhibition Design & Construction (Week: 12)



Here the elements and timescales are denoted for my entire project. Each element is subdivided into the sketchbook pages and practical work that would be attempted at that time on a weekly basis. Any additions or subtractions to my product could be easily added or removed.

As my project drew to a close I am pleased to say I was able to follow this plan in its entirety for the duration of my project. It was great to have my goals outlined earlier, effectivley there where no empty pages in my sketchbooks to fill as what needed to be done was already clear to me. Because of this structure I reckon I was able to effectivley double my work that I was orginally cabable of.

Despite this after reading up on the mark schemes I reckon there were key aspects of my sketchbooks that were lacking. This was mainly in the areas of critical analysis and overall synergy with my concurrent blog posts.

For this reason I made the decision to conduct a detailed analysis of my accomplished work on a case by case basis in the closing days of my project. These would be attached in the relevant places inside my Sketchbook and would provide additional insight into my thoughts at the time.


I completed an approximatley 6000 word investigation into my design process. This provided a quick summary of my goals at the time as well as a critical analysis of the completed work. The analysis was neccesary as much of my sketchbooks annotation was descripitve of my methords and not critical enough.


Here is an example of a typical page of analysis present at the start of every new undertaking in my sketchbook. In the bottom right a QR code is present scannable in Snapchat it takes you to a blog post relevant to that respective page. As well as this a timescale is included to better orient a reader to the stages postition in projects. As well as this the current section I was undertaking at the time is included above the pages title.

Completion of this groundwork and my projects overall structure was a considerable undertaking that might not be immediatley apparent to a casual observer. Its with this blog post I hope to inform a reader of the work that went into a project of this scale. Hugely conductive to my goals I owe alot to the descision to fufill this idea, and reckon this structured way of thinking could be applied to future projects relativley easily.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s